Illustrated Hungarian Tarokk: Example Deal 8
contributed by Révész Gábor
Two with double game
Card distribution after the exchange
|A: ||I, V, VIII, XII, XIV, XVII, J, C, Q||J|
|B: ||II, IIII, X, XI, XV, skíz, C, Q, K||C, Q (declarer)|
|C: ||III, VII, XVI, XVIII, XX, XXI, 10, K, K||Q, 10|
|D: ||VI, IX, XIII, XIX, J, A, A, C, K||J|
|B: ||Hívom a XX-ast, passz||(I call the XX, pass)|
|C: ||Tulétroá, duplajáték, passz||(Trull, double game, pass)|
|D, A, B: ||Passz||(Pass)|
- In Illustrated Tarokk, double game is often said mainly as an encouragement. It indicates the second highest unknown card (here the XVIII), and that its announcer has six tarokks at least.
- However, double game should not be announced unless it is likely to make even if no further bonuses are announced. When announcing, one should consider the following:
In this game only the first of these four aspects is favourable for the bidders.
- how many cards are in the skart, who put them there, and how many points did I discard?
- the position of the high tarokks;
- possessing the pagát is advantageous, because there is no fear that it might escape;
- the possession of the opening lead is also an advantage.
- In the second trick D played his XIX according to the maxim 'short takes the trick'. B was right to leave D to win this trick because:
a) it consisted of tarokks only,
b) it is better to leave the opponent with the shorter trumps on lead
c) the declarer's team thereby gained the advantage of playing last to the following trick.
- At trick 3 A tried to get the pagát home, unsuccessfully.
- The rest of the play was fairly routine.
Value of cards taken by declarer's team: 81 points
|Trull: ||2 points|
|Two with announced double game: ||8 points|
|Silent four kings: ||1 point |
|Total: ||11 points|
Games like this often depend on suit card distribution. Therefore players should think carefully about their discards. Afterwards quite a lot is up to fortune. We can see that if D had led his diamond instead of the club to the third trick, both the trull and the double game would have failed.