Preference is one of the most widespread card games among serious card players in Russia. There are four main varieties: Sochi Preferans, Leningrad Preferans, Classic Preferans and Rostov (or Moscow) Preferans, and many smaller variations within these. The rules for all of these types will eventually be given on this page.
Meanwhile, here are some links to other Preference pages. Note that some of these pages are in Russian, and some of the older pages may still use KOI8-R encoding. You may need to adjust your browser to see the Cyrillic text correctly:
- Dmitry Lesnoy has published rules of Preferans and a Preferans Codex with detailed regulations.
- Stefan Mashkevich's PrefPage (archive copy)
- Net Preference, from NetIntellGames, allows you to play against a computer opponent or with a human opponent over the Internet, LAN, modem or direct connection.
- Several versions of Russian Preference can be played online at meingames.de.
- Russian Preference can be played online at preferans.de. The author tells me that this version supports webcams and microphones and can be played through a firewall.
Preference is also played, in rather different forms, in other European countries. For examples, see the pages on: