Illustrated Hungarian Tarokk: Example Deal 6
contributed by Révész Gábor
Small bird made without the XIX and the XVII
Card distribution after the exchange
|A: ||IIII, VII, VIII, 10, K, J, Q, 10, J||C|
|B: ||I, III, IX, XIII, XVII, XIX, K, J, C||C|
|C: ||V, X, XI, XVIII, XXI, skíz, A, K, K||J, Q, C (declarer)|
|D: ||II, VI, XII, XIV, XV, XVI, XX, A, Q||Q|
|C: ||Hívom a XX-ast, trull, duplajáték, passz||(I call the XX, trull, double game, pass)|
|D: ||Kismadár, passz||(Small bird, pass)|
|A, B, C: ||Passz||(Pass)|
- C indicated his XVIII with the duplajáték announcement. Such announcements often fail, sometimes even with kontra. If the bid is three or two however, the risk is worth taking in the hope of other, more valuable bonuses.
- This game is a good example that when the players sit favourably and after accurate calculation centrum (or a small or large bird) may be announced even when the hand seems 'holey' at the first sight.
- After C had said double game, D could rightly assume that C had six tarokks at least, so he could make the small bird without a suit lead.
- The small bird announcement was not without risk, though. If A had found D's diamond suit with the opening lead, there could have been some trouble:
... and C must lead a suit to the fifth trick if he wants to save the small bird.
- There is in fact an even more difficult scenario for the declarers:
In fact in this situation D has to try leading a diamond rather than the XIV at trick 3, in which case the small bird can still be made, even after two suit leads. To avoid this position C might choose not to overtake in trick 1, hoping that D will not have a club, i.e. that A opened with a suit headed by the king. Will C try this? Probably not, as he does not know that the XVII is also missing. In fact this whole line of play is unlikely as the cards lie, since it would be odd for A to choose to lead a club having the king of that suit. Nevertheless the risk of a first trick like this should also be taken into account when announcing the small bird.
Value of cards taken by declarer's team: 73 points
| Trull: ||2 points|
| Three with announced double game: ||4 points|
|Small bird: ||10 points|
|Total: ||16 points|